The Impact Investor
26th to 28th July 2019
“The Impact Investor” harnesses the power of capital markets and students’ creativity to create positive impact in a world of perpetual resource scarcity and continued population growth.
Contestants must propose and defend a strategy that uses finance and investment tools rather than an operating enterprise to address an environmental or societal challenge. The competition is an opportunity to apply core finance principles to target the economic, social and environmental challenges that drive the field of sustainable investing. Pitches might focus on areas like water, energy, food, social mobility, climate change, education or healthcare, among others. Contestants are encouraged to apply the entire spectrum of investment tools, styles and asset classes.
The Challenge seeks to identify the next generation of sustainable finance practitioners, connect emerging leaders with industry professionals, and foster even greater emphasis on sustainability at graduate and post graduate schools around the world.
The Impact Investor seeks to identify outstanding proposals offering novel investment strategies to meet some of the most pressing global challenges ahead. Teams are encouraged to think beyond social enterprises, venture capital fund vehicles and strategies.
Integral to this competition are first, that you create a financial vehicle, and second, that your financial vehicle will have social impact.
Institutions seeking investments
Private equity/venture capital
Retirement and Pension Funds
Fixed income securities
Microfinance lending and investing
The proposal must be a fit for an institutional investor who is seeking:
- Both competitive returns and positive social and/or environmental impact
- Risk management that is commensurate with the target returns
- Transparent performance metrics for both the financial and social return
- Clear linkage between program outcomes and social impact
There is no limitation on asset class or investment vehicle and teams are encouraged to think creatively. The focus is on investment vehicles and fund strategies versus companies.
Round 1: Entry Submission Requirements
Two-page prospectus must be submitted latest by 11:59:59 PM, 30th June, 2019. The prospectus should outline a broad overview on the unique sustainable investment strategy.
Round 2: Detailed Presentation
This will entail submission of a presentation detailing the strategy behind the prospectus, investment vehicle and deal with the suitability of the vehicle in terms of investor pool, fund size, projected returns and cash flows etc.. The exact details will be communicated to the shortlisted teams. The deadline to submit the comprehensive deck is 11:59:59 PM 13th July, 2019
Round 3: Final teams shortlisted would need to fly to IIM Bangalore campus to present the idea to an elite panel of jury during Vista 2019. At least 2 team membersshould be available to present at the finals, if the team is chosen to advance to that round.
INR 1Lakh Cash Prizes
- Round 1 opens: 18thJune 2019; Round 1 closes: 30th July 2019
- Teams must comprise minimum 2 membersand maximum of 4 members.
- A team may include members from different graduate schools.
- All ideas must be the original ideas of the team members.
- Send the Round 1 Prospectus named as Round1_<TeamName>_<LeaderName> in PDF on D2C.
- All participants must be registered for the event on the IIMB Vista website. Any team which does not register for the event on Vista website will be disqualified.
- Only the first submissions made by teams before the deadlines will be used.
- Participants have to travel to campus for the final on campus rounds subject to their selection.
- The participants must carefully read through and agree to the following Terms & Conditions: All decisions in matters of eligibility, authenticity and final judgments will be with organizing committee of Vista, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore. The format and structure of events on campus could be subject to change before the actual beginning of the event.
- The decisions of the organizers will be final and binding on all participants
Name: Hardik Dubal
Name: Mit Parekh
Registration & Round 1 Deadline
11:59PM IST, 30th June 2019
Round 2 Opens
3rd July 2019
Round 2 Deadline
11:59PM IST, 13th July 2019
Will be announced soon